Hey

Why don't you make a second table 'categories' and have the two tables
in relation?
For example:

Table 'contacts':
id   name          category_id
------------------------------
 0   John Doe                3    (Category "New York Office")
 1   Jane Smith              4    (Category "Orlando Office")
 2   Mark Jones              2    (Category "Creative")

Table 'categories':
id   name            parent_id
------------------------------
 1   Sales                   0    (Main category)
 2   Creative                0    (Main category)
 3   New York Office         1    (Subcategory of "Sales")
 4   Orlando Office          1    (Subcategory of "Sales")

So you have unlimited subcategories and the users can choose and add
them easily. In addition, you have normalized your data...

cheers
Marcel

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:29:14 -0400
Monty wrote:

> Hi, I need to add the ability for users to define and set up their own
> categories and sub-categories that can be used to group contacts they enter
> into a database. Here's an example of how the data might be stored...
>

>     Name            Main Category       Sub Category
>     -------------   -----------------   ----------------
>     John Doe        Sales               New York Office
>     Jane Smith      Sales               Orlando Office
>     Mark Jones      Creative
>     Sarah Williams  Creative
>     Kevin Brown     Manager             Office Manager
>     Joe Johnson     Manager             Site Manager
>

> I need to allow users to define the types of Main Categories they want, and
> to also define whether or not those Main Categories will have Sub
> Categories, which they can also define.
>
> I know how to do this if the types of categories and sub-categories were
> pre-defined, but, I'm finding it a lot trickier to allow the users to
> customize these with their own category types. So, I'm hoping someone might
> be able to point me to an example of how custom categories and
> sub-categories can be programmed in PHP and set up in MySQL.
>
> Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!
>
> Monty

Marcel Tschopp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>