Gabe wrote:

Wanted to see if anyone had any input on this. I have a recordset that is returned to me in my script. What I then would like to do is go through each row of the recordset and use the substr_count function to count the number of times a string appears in each row. Then I'd like to sort & display the recordset based on how many times the string appeared in each row.

Basically this is a very light search with a very quick & dirty way to find relevancy. I've thought that I could just store the relevancy numbers in an array, but then how do I know which relevancy number goes with what row in the recordset? That's the association problem I'm talking about. Also, how would I then sort the recordset accordingly based on the relevancy array?

I've been looking through the PHP documentation and can't quite get past this question. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Gabe

You do have a key field for the row, right? Use the value of it for the key of the array.

$sth = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM table');
while($rec = mysql_fetch_assoc($sth)) {
  $rel[$rec['id']] = substr_count(implode('', $rec), 'search phrase');

paperCrane <Justin Patrin>