I want to parse a file with the following syntax.

hostname|protocol|number|severity|description

Each record is on it's own line and have the fields delimited by the pipe
character |. The file may have thousands of records and I would like to
bring them into a database for reporting.

Some of you may recognize this a the file format of a Nessus security scan
file.

What function should I use and what would the syntax be?

Thanks,
Pat