I'm a system administrator who's dabbled a bit in PHP, but am not very experienced in
it. My PHP developer came to me with a behavior which neither of us can understand.

If you go to this URL, you'll get a broken version of the main home page on our site:
http://www.hcpartnership.org/index.php/search . We can't understand this, because
'index.php' is a file, not a directory. (The correct web page is just at
http://www.hcpartnership.org/index.php.)

Here's another example:
http://www.hcpartnership.org/path_test.php/search : does not generate a 404 error
http://www.hcpartnership.org/path_test.html/search : generates a 404 error
This is despite the fact that both of these two files are empty:
www:/var/www/hcpartnership/htdocs# ls -l path*
-rw-r--r--    1 rmcpeak  wwwadmin        0 Jun 25 10:09 path_test.html
-rw-r--r--    1 rmcpeak  wwwadmin        0 Jun 25 10:10 path_test.php
www:/var/www/hcpartnership/htdocs#

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening? Is this a danger? Can this be turned
off? Is this controlled in the .php code, in the php.ini file or in the Apache
configuration, or elsewhere?

We didn't even know how to describe this problem well, so our searches of the archives
of this mailing list and Google weren't successful. Let me know  if we overlooked
something.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and thoughts.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Unix Administrator
Johns Hopkins University/Center for Communications Programs
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD  21202
410-659-6139