use " to display the data in the input-text element and undo this
before inserting it into the database

function quoteToHtml ( $string ) {
  return str_replace( '"' , '"' , $string );
}
function htmlToQuote ( $string ) {
  return str_replace( '"' , '"' , $string );
}

Only way to go :-)

Scott Fletcher wrote:

I'm using data that goes from the HTML textbox to PHP to MYSQL to PHP to
HTML textbox.  The only trouble I have is to escape the apostrophe character
when it is put into the HTML textbox by PHP (from MySQL).

--snip--
  echo "<input type='textbox' value='".$value."'>";
--snip--

I can't use the HTML feature like &quot or something because the "&quot"
would show up in the database...  Any suggestion or advice?

Thanks,
 Scott F.