[snip]
i've got a strange problem with a MySQL table. although my 'id' column
is set to 'auto_increment', each new record i insert has the value 1.
(instead of 1, 2, 3, etc.)

i checked my sql statement and i'm not assigning the id value by
mistake. here is my create statement (showing only a few columns from
the table for brevity):

CREATE TABLE `customers` (
  `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `fname` varchar(20) NOT NULL default '',
  `lname` varchar(20) NOT NULL default '',
  `is_active` tinyint(4) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`fname`,`lname`,`email`,`id`),
  UNIQUE KEY `email` (`email`)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

anyone know what's going on??
[/snip]

The guys on the MySQL list do. Have you read this-->
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/example-AUTO_INCREMENT.html