Jason Barnett wrote:

This - I think - highlights the problem. *I* have been programing for 25+ years, but only switched to PHP last year. I decided not to worry

I would love to hear why you switched... although some might consider it "off topic".

All of my systems last century used Borland C++ and then Builder ( I never switched TO Delphi ;) ) Just like Borland's decision in 1999 to kill Interbase, their latest move to 'kill' BuilderC has left a bad taste in every Borland old timers mouth!
At the same time more pressure was coming to remove the use of proprietary code on terminals, so a switch to web based access has been happening over the last couple of years. After playing with a number of options, Apache/PHP/Firebird settled as a good base that would run on Windows for those sites that insisted, or Linux for those already converted.
I recently did a paper on Firebird and PHP at the Firebird conference, at which time a check back through the facts only improved the belief that I have made the right choice.

too much about PHP4, and have only run with the Beta PHP5. PEAR DB was kicked in touch early on - ADOdb does everything I want, and is used by every third party package I use.
SNIP
I'd also add PEAR to your list. In general their libraries are very well written and serve as a good example codebase for PHP5.

No thanks - someone will have to do a VERY good sales pitch on that now, it was a right pig last year, and now I can't be bothered to waste any more time on it :)
The OTHER reason PHP was the right choice is the vast range of open source packages available that have proven to work easily with ADOdb and Firebird.

--
Lester Caine