Posted this yesterday, still having problems.

I've used various combinations with --with-mysql. I removed all the old mysql binaries and libs from /usr/lib, /usr/include and /usr/bin. I removed the old mysql.so from /usr/lib/php4/

I even went as far as upgrading to PHP5. It is still using the mysql 3.23 client API. I've upgraded the dev server and my laptop to have PHP5 and MySQL 4 successfully but can't manage to get PHP5 to use the MySQL 4 client API.