yeah...

i saw that write up. i've also inquired with bugs.mysql as to if/whether
this might be reinserted.. we'll see.

that said, it appears that there would need to be an approach similar to the
apache::dbi mod for perl, where you have an app that essentially does
connection pooling. in this model, an intermediate app becomes the app that
has the connection with the mysql server, and never shuts down. the web app
would 'talk' to the intermediate app to get the connection id/handle,
ensuring that the web app could get the same handle for all subsequent mysql
interaction on the pages of the web app....

ie....
      +<----------->app1>>>>+
    mysql    <----------- pool app
      |                     ^
      +<----------->app2>>>>+

in this case app1/app2 are both web apps running on apache
app1/app2 would talk to the 'pool app' to get the initial mysql db 'handle'.
the handle is stored/maintained for the life of the client web app.
once the pool app gets the handle, the web app fetches the handle at the
start of every page that has to perform db functions with mysql. subsequent
db functions for the page are then performed between the web app and mysql,
using the handle provided by the pool app....

that's the theory, not sure how it would work, or what other issues would
be. but if it did work, it could be extended to support any given web
app/server that needed to be able to maintain the connection with the db
over multiple pages...

-bruce