On 06/08/2004, at 2:43 PM, khuram noman wrote:

hi

i have 2 pages on my site one is index.php and other
is join.php on index page there is link of join now
when somee one comes to join now page i want to know
from where it comes i means i want to know the
referral page . iam using
$HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_REFERER'] or
$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] but both are not working .
iam using php version 4.3.3 is there any server
settings required to use these arrays but $_post[]
array is working. waiting for ur soon reply

Khuram,

Let's try a little debugging... Create a file called test.php on your server with this mark-up:

  <head>
    <title>PHP SERVER TEST</title>
  </head>
    <pre>
      <? print_r($_SERVER); ?>
    </pre>

This will dump the contents of _SERVER onto the screen. When you first load the page, there SHOULD be a lot of values on the screen, but if there isn't, then there's definitely something odd with your server set-up.

If there ARE a lot of values on the screen, great, good start. You'll will notice that there ISN'T a value for for HTTP_REFERER, because so far there isn't a referrer (you accessed the page direct).

Click on the "click" link, and the page will reload with the _SERVER array again, and this time there *should* be a value in the HTTP_REFERER.

If there isn't, then I'd suggest wither your browser, firewall, virus protection software or your server is messing around with referrers for security or privacy reasons.

Good luck,

---
Justin French
http://indent.com.au