On Thursday 19 August 2004 13:43, DBW wrote:

> Just to clarify a point, does it matter where you are coming from and
> executing the php script? i.e. I am using a browser that is behind a
> firewall blocks ftp (hence why I am trying to set up this ftp stuff through
> php).  I am pretty sure that it doesn't, since I have used other sample
> scripts around the web run on their own server and they work fine.  Just
> want to check to make sure this is actually the case.

The ftp connection is made from where the php script resides. Which means on
the webserver. So if the host has blocked outgoing ftp connections from the
webserver you're hosed.

That is why I suggested that you try an ftp connection to the webserver itself
(from the webserver of course):

1) I'm assuming that your host machine has both the webserver installed
(obviously) and that it has an ftpserver (for you put stuff into your
webspace).

2) I'm further assuming that your host has not blocked ftp connections coming
from localhost

Thus if you're able to connect locally then it is a good indication that php's
ftp functions are not a fault, and that it is the host's network
configuration that is preventing you from making outgoing ftp connections.