hi,

i am trying to do a simple check for archiving utilities (zip, unzip,
...), to make sure they exist within the PATH, and are executable by
PHP.

i could not find a better way to do this through php, so i went ahead
and did an

exec('which ' . $utility, $output, $return_value);

then, i check the $return_value for a non-zero value, which would
indicate that the utility was not found.  using GNU/Linux this seems to
work fine, but i wouldn't mind keeping my work cross-platform.

so, my question is, is there a better way to do this?

and, if not, what i have done, for now is the following:

$result = exec('which ' . $utility, $output, $return_val);
return( $result  &&  !$return_val );

from one quick test i ran, i determined that exec() simply returns NULL
or nothing if the given utility/command doesn't exist (`which`, in this
case).

so, i expect the above code to simply return true, or skip the test for
my $utility rather, if the `which` utility is not present on the system.

will this work as expected in all cases/systems?

thanks a lot.