[snip]
I've got some large zip files sitting in a directory in my website for
my clients to download (no these aren't programs for warez but images
for the graphics industry).

One of the zip files is 78 MB.  When using MS IE6 and when I right click
the link for that zip file to download it (then 'File Save As"), IE
gives back an error message that "IE cannot download ... path/filename
from website.net" and "IE was not able to open this Internet site.  The
requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found.  Please try
again later".

However, if I try the same thing with a much smaller zip file, it works
in IE.

And of course, if I use any other browser but IE, then it works perfect
no matter what the file size.  So it seems to be a combination of MS IE
and large file size.

In my php.ini, I've got:

post_max_size = 100M
upload_max_filesize = 100M

Is there anything else I need to do in php.ini?  Mime settings or
execution times?

Or is this just another shortcoming in IE?  And if so, is it editable?
[/snip]

You'll note the difference between UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD. With PHP there
is some control you have over the UPLOAD portion of the show. For the
DOWLOAD in the manner you described it is not a PHP issue.

The error -

"IE was not able to open this Internet site.  The requested site is
either unavailable or cannot be found."

indicates that the file may not be where you think it is (check the
path) or that there is something wrong with the availability of the
file. Make sure the permissions are proper. A quick google of IE large
file download problems revealed some information, but it did not seem
relevant to your problem.