[snip]
I downloaded files via FTP from a site published with FrontPage and
active
Front Page extensions. When I try to run them on my local machine, php
files
are not recognized and parsed by Apache. IE gives me the save to dialog
and
Mozilla displays binary garbage.
Checking the FTP log, it says that they have been downloaded in ASCII
mode.
I even tried a backup on the machine and download as tar file with the
same
result.

Any ideas what could cause the Apache php parser to not recognize this?
I am
running Apache 1.3.23 on W2K with PHP 4.3.4.
[/snip]

It is not a PHP problem. FrontPage and their extensions only run on M$
servers unless you are using an IIS imitator.