You should give some consideration to _not_ emailing passwords.

Many popular sites rely on double entry of a password during registration
which reduces the need to email the password to the user during confirmation
of their registration.

The fact that most users have only 1 password which they use for /every/
registration process would make that email even more redundant (and quite a
large security risk for the user!).

The lost password procedure could just involve emailing the user a 'reset
password' link (perhaps even after asking for a mother's maiden name or
similar).  IMHO this gives a very good security/ease-of-use trade-off.

    |  |
    |--+--
    |  |.HushFriend (you'll see).
             .Stefan Holmes.