On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:39:26 -0500, Greg Donald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:03:09 +0200, Wouter van Vliet
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I would assume this to be a common problem, but as I wrote to this
> > list myself a couple of days ago I was only aware of it's existence on
> > windows systems. Here's some sample code
> >
> >       1 <?php
> >       2 $date = strtotime('12 feb 1950');
> >       3 print $date.': '.date('r', $date)."\n";
> >       4 $date = mktime(0,0,0,2,12,1950);
> >       5 print $date.': '.date('r', $date)."\n";
> >       6 ?>
> >
> > And this is it's output:
> >
> > -1: Thu,  1 Jan 1970 00:59:59 +0100
> > -3662: Wed, 31 Dec 1969 23:58:58 +0100
> >
> > My search on google didn't help me out, the docs say that it should
> > work and I can remember me having used such code and got it working.
> > Please fella's, what am I missing?
>
> The bottom of the strtotime() manual page where it says:
>
> Note:  The valid range of a timestamp is typically from Fri, 13 Dec
> 1901 20:45:54 GMT to Tue, 19 Jan 2038 03:14:07 GMT. (These are the
> dates that correspond to the minimum and maximum values for a 32-bit
> signed integer.) Additionally, not all platforms support negative
> timestamps, therefore your date range may be limited to no earlier
> than the Unix epoch. This means that e.g. dates prior to Jan 1, 1970
> will not work on Windows, some Linux distributions, and a few other
> operating systems.
>
> A couple years ago when upgrading some web servers we found RedHat 7
> had this issue, strtotime() basically didn't work and always returned
> -1 on 'negative' unix timestamps.  I have never used Fedora but it's
> probably the same issue all over again.  I know this isn't the answer
> you were hoping for, but I wanted to share my experience.

so, basically my problem is confirmed to be existent - such a relieve
;) It's just that ppl I work for do want to be able to be born before
1970, cuz some are.

Mashed patatoes :@ - is there really no way to deal with this? Might
somebody have created a nice rpm of the kernel with t_*smth* set to 64
or 32 bits signed? I have full control over the server, so if i'd need
to make any changes, that is possible.