Sam Hobbs wrote:
"Jason Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Windows XP Firewall, or any other firewall for that matter must be off.
Jason

Can someone else confirm that this is correct?

It's not correct.

For one thing, when I use MySQL directly outside of a web page, it works. The sample C program works.

For another thing, I doubt very immensely that everyone using mysql_connect does not use a firewall. Even if anyone else does, I will not. It would have been quite unreasonable for the developers of PHP to develop software with that requirement, but I doubt it was.

I don't know anything about WindowsXP or it's 'firewall', but you _may_ have to open the port for which you have MySQL running on. I haven't followed this thread, but if MySQL, and your php enabled webserver are on the same box, then your firewall doesn't come into play.

--
John C. Nichel
ÜberGeek