Hey,

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:24:03 -0700 (PDT), Mag
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > $url=file_get_contents("http://www.yahoo.com/";);
> >
> > The thing is, it takes quite some time (2-5 secs)
> > before the contents are in my program (I am using
> my
> > local webserver on my desktop for testing...not a
> > webserver)
> >
> > My questions are for you more experienced guys...
> > is there anyway to 'quicken' the process or is
> this
> > normal?
> > do you recommend anything other than
> > file_get_contents() ?
> > and lastly, is this a resource intensive hog?

> The 2-5 seconds is most likely a DNS lookup.  You
> can speed it up by
> using a local caching DNS server or the IP address,
> or possibly a DNS
> server under less load.

Thats kind of what I thought, but wanted to confirm.

> file_get_contents() is fairly new and and therefore
> not very backwards
> compatible with older PHP installs as a result.
> It's handy and all,
> but I found our production servers were running a
> PHP too old to use
> it one day last week when I tried.

Interesting, so what is more backwards compatable? or
to put it in another way, what did you change on your
servers so that your app worked without
file_get_contents?

Thanks,
Mag

=====
------
- The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard.
- Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster!
- Smile, everyone loves a moron. :-)