Thanks so much for the insight which is a much simpler way.

I successfully set up a test page (a form) that takes email to, from, subject and body and sends it.

<?php
$emailto=$_GET['emailto'];
$emailfrom=$_GET['emailfrom'];
$emailsub=$_GET['emailsub'];
$emailbody=$_GET['emailbody'];
$headers = "From: <$emailfrom>\r\n";
$headers .=     "Return-Path: <$emailfrom>\r\n";
if(mail($emailto, $emailsub, $emailbody, $headers)) {
        echo"Email Sent";
        exit;
}
echo "Email Error";
?>

However, when I send a message to subscribe to the EZMLM list, it sends ok, but doesn't get added to the list. When I send a test message to myself I noticed that the Return-path in the email sent is not what I set in my script, but that of the apache user. I wonder if that is where the EZMLM-sub gets the address for submission and is sending the confirmation to the dead mailbox.

Any insight?

Thanks,

Mark