[snip]
I'm trying to add some new features to an existing project.  The project
uses pg_pconnect and sets it into a global var...

What I'm trying to do is to create a new database class which connects
to a different database on the same server.  By the time my code gets
reached, the pg_pconnect global var $conn has already been initialized.

Is the persistent connection open only to the database in which it was
opened for?  How can I choose a different database?
[/snip]

Yes, a persistent connection will only be used when all the connection
parameters are the same.  Ergo a new database requires a new connection.

That said, I would also like to point out that there is a bug which can
be found with php and persistent postgres connections.

http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=25404

The solution is to use non-persistent connections.

I'd had a problem over the past few months wherein users of my CMS were
getting logged out for no reason, and yesterday I was finally able to
trace it to this.

Switched to non-persistent connections and not one error has occurred
since, so this might be something to keep in mind.

Cheers and HTH,

Pablo