need a regexp to get the contents of this marker or one very simular:

{!STATISTICS:starbucks!}

what I am looking for is to get the "STATISTICS" and "starbucks" into
an array() if possible.  I believe with the correct regexp this can be
accomplished using preg_split() or by getting the contents of the
marker and explode()'ing them.  also i am looking to grab several
strings for a marker like this, for instance.

{!STASTISTICS:starbucks:blended:chocolate!}

Also if someone could direct me to a site that explains how to use and
create regexp in a small minded manor since I have been unable to
grasp the concepts.

Thanks in advanced,
Robert