I made this code to pick a random record from a changeable number of records in a given table.
I'm just curious if any of the more awake coders out there can see a way to optimize this for better performance, since there's several other DB queries on the same page.

$records = mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(*) AS count FROM persons") or die('Unable to get record count<br>'.mysql_error());
$totalcount = mysql_result($records,0) - 1;
$rndrecord = rand(0,$totalcount);
$personquery = mysql_query("SELECT personID FROM persons LIMIT $rndrecord,1") or die('Unable to get random record<br>'.mysql_error());
$personID = mysql_result($personquery,0);
--
Rene Brehmer
aka Metalbunny

If your life was a dream, would you wake up from a nightmare, dripping of sweat, hoping it was over? Or would you wake up happy and pleased, ready to take on the day with a smile?

http://metalbunny.net/
References, tools, and other useful stuff...
Check out the new Metalbunny forums at http://forums.metalbunny.net/