GH wrote:
Are there anyother methods besides BBCode/phpBB that one can use?
Especially if I do not have pear available on my host?

I'm sure there are. For example you can convert the string using htmlspecialchars, and then convert only allowed tags back:

$text = htmlspecialchars($_POST['text']);

$replace_to = array('<b>', '</b>');

$replace_from = array();
foreach($replace_to as $tag) {
  $replace_from[] = htmlspecialchars($tag);
}

$text = str_replace($replace_from, $replace_to, $text);

You can install pear in your account, just unpack the archive and set include_path.