Quoting raditha dissanayake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> This probably means that your imap server is running under xinetd (or
> something similar) that has a rate limit or a limit on the number of
> connections from one client. You can find out how many connections are
> open with netstat and i think you will find it's reached the allowed limit.

Cheers that does appear to be the problem, it runs under inetd and at the nowait
argument it does not specify how many connections many be started within 60
seconds. Apparently its limited to 40 by default so this could explain why when
searching 80 folders it craps out due to opening 80 connections without about 10
seconds.

Guess I'll have to get the admins to increase the limit to something like
200-300 and look to see if there is any way for the php scripts to detect the
problem and stop before hitting it.

--
Darragh Bailey