Manuel Lemos wrote:
Hello,

On 10/01/2004 11:44 AM, Olaf Van Der Spek wrote:

But this does mean the policy does allow scripts to crash the engine/server.

The way I see it, calling exit() is not a crash. If the code was

Indeed, I should've added "or fatal error". But from the script's point of view, it's the same as a crash.

From the script point of view, PHP never crashes. You seem to be dealing with an abnormal situation that is not caused by PHP engine code but rather in gzip library. Therefore it seems that gzip library needs to be fixed, not PHP.

accessing invalid memory addresses that would cause it segmentation faults, that would crash *ONE* process, you only see an entry in the server error log, the child process would be restarted, but it still would not crash the whole server as you seem to be thinking.

Yes, assuming you run on a non-threaded server. But isn't the goal to get PHP4/5 safe for multi-threaded servers too?

AFAIK PHP runs safely in multi-threaded servers. What you can't expect is that PHP handles abnormal situations caused by flaws in the external libraries that PHP links with.

gunzip handles the file gracefully: unexpected end of file