If you are going to develop the application on a Object Oriented Programming, then I would advice you go with PHP 5.

If it is going to a healthy mix of procedural coding and OOP, then I recommend using PHP 4 right now but gradually upgrade to PHP 5.

Whatever you choose, keep in mind that PHP 5 is not being used widely on commerical servers as production ready. And it may be couple of months before that happens. So keep this at the back of your mind as it would help in you development cycle.

Amit
www.digitalamit.com

Michael Lauzon wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, I am putting a team together to create a
web-based RPG, different from the one I am currently playing.  Would
it be better to use PHP4 with it's strong developer base, or the new
PHP5 which is more object oriented an in my opinion would be easier to
keep the game up to date?