is the file localhost? because the file being localhost or remote makes a huge
difference. lets assume its localhost

    incdex.php
    <?php
        $table = 'test';
        include_once("$DOCUMENT_ROOT/include/variables.php");
    ?>

now, variables.php will NOT return variables, thats not what is for. it just includes
the code, thats it.

    variables.php
    <?php
        if ($table == 'test')
            echo "do something...";
        else
            echo "do something else...";
    ?>

there you. include does NOT return variables. imagine it like this, imagine you opened
variables.php in your editor, and cut and paste all that code right exactly where
include_once(...) was, thats what php is doing.

now

    include_once("http://somedomain.com/variables.php");

is very very different, this will send and HTTP request for the page, local variables
will not be seen by variables.php any variables set in variables.php will not be
returened either.

    include_once("http://somedomain.com/variables.php?table=test");

this will send the variable table to variables.php but variables.php will still not be
able to return anything. using include_once(..) this way has limited usfullness. not
saying its not usfull, just saying its limited.

--

 Chris Lee
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

""Ashley M. Kirchner"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
Lindsay Adams wrote:

> So, leaving out the table=$table will still result in $table being defined
> by the code prior to the include.

    Actually, the the I'm trying to include has several segments in it, which
depend on which table was just queries.  It basically looks like this:

    if (table_1) {
        return this set of variables
    } elseif (table_2) {
        return this other set
    } elseif (table_3) {
        return these ones
    } else {
        echo "you bonehead, you didn't include a table!";
    }

    You're saying, if I just include 'variables.inc', it will know what $table
is (from the main script) and would run through that routine fine?  Actually, it
makes sense, all it does is include it as if I wrote it in the main script.
Okay, so how can I make it so I only get the variables returned, as opposed to
it including the whole bit in the main script?  (kinda like the way a function()
with a return $var in it would work.)

    AMK4

--
W |
  |  I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
  Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   .   303.442.6410 x130
  SysAdmin / Websmith                           .     800.441.3873 x130
  Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc.             .        eFax 248.671.0909
  http://www.pcraft.com                  .         3550 Arapahoe Ave #6
  .................. .  .  .     .               Boulder, CO 80303, USA