Suhas wrote:
Hello,

I just want to make sure that I understand this concept.

When i read thr' docs,

session.gc_maxlifetime specifies the number of seconds after which
data will be seen as 'garbage' and cleaned up

and default value is 1440.

My guess is :

A. 1440 seconds from last visit to the page (where session id is used), B. 1440 seconds from session_start() function call

C is correct - 1440 seconds from session_write_close(), either called explicitly by your script or implicitly when your script ends. But it happens not long after session_start(), so you might consider it the same.

My general understanding is a session can be idle for 1440 seconds. If a php page tried to refer to a session which is been idle more than 1440 seconds, there is very little chance that page will access to session data.

You are right