Hugh Beaumont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<quote -------------------------------------------------------------------->

I've been working with

error_reporting(E_ALL)

set lately trying to write code that does not give notices or errors.

What is the proper way to set a variable so that it's non-existance

will not generate

a notice?

Thanks all for the replies. I also noticed a small typo in the code I posted which made it even
worse (used == instead of = when doing the assignment).

<quote -------------------------------------------------------------------->

There's a book called XX number of ways to improve your C++ code. Well, it works on
lots of languages. About equality statements? Put the constant on the left, then it's
not accidentally an assignement.

if( 15==$dudes_age ){ $action="Slap him if he looks at your daughter"; }

vs

if( $daughters_age==(18*365 + 4 + 1) ){ $action="Give her a box of con***s and kick her
out"; }
//18 years, plus 4 leap days plus one day.
If you accidentally mamke the '==' a '=' in the second statement, it will always be
true, and you will get arrested for kicking your 8 year old out into the street.