I've got a cookie that's either non-existent or a serialized array. I'm trying all sorts of different code combinations to retrieve it into an array variable, but everything I try throws up some combination of notices and/or warnings. Here is my latest & greatest:

$cookie = $_COOKIE['bookmarks'];
if(unserialize($cookie) == true) {
        $bookmarks = unserialize($cookie);
} else {
        $bookmarks = array();
}

Produces:

Notice: Undefined index: bookmarks in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\palms\htdocs\bookmarks.php on line 5

Notice: unserialize() [function.unserialize]: Argument is not an string in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\palms\htdocs\bookmarks.php on line 5

Any suggestions on how I can do this without throwing notices? I'm aware that I can turn notices off but I like them kept on to help me with debugging.

- Brian