From: Manuel Lemos [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 12:59 PM
To: Josh Howe
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP] Re: sending mail -- nullmailer

Hello,

On 10/08/2004 01:35 PM, Josh Howe wrote:
> Ok, so I came across nullmailer, which seems to do exactly what I want -
> forward mail to an existing smtp server. But it isn't working. I'm using
the
> mail() php function, and the mails aren't arriving. The same code works
fine
> on a windows machine pointing to the same smtp server. Does anybody have
any
> experience configuring nullmailer? How do I tell linux to use nullmailer
as
> the default MTA? Thanks!!

I don't know why do you want to replace your Linux installation MTA.
Usually is sendmail or compatible and can be configured to relay
messages to a SMTP server instead of deliverying them directly.

Under Linux/Unix PHP just hands the message to the sendmail program. It
would not make much sense to relay messages a SMTP server when sendmail
can be more efficient by sending them directly to the SMTP of the
recipient users, unless you are trying to send messages from a server
that is blacklisted and the world is not accepting messages from it or
because of some other blocking reason.

Anyway, if you really want to relay messages to a SMTP server under
Linux/Unix, the mail function will not do that. Instead you may want to
try this class that comes with a wrapper function named smtp_mail(). It
emulates the mail() function and the purpose of its arguments except
that it can relay the messages a SMTP server of choice.

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

You also need this:

http://www.phpclasses.org/smtpclass

--