> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:12:12 -0400, Michael Lauzon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> Unfortunately the PHP.net are not really for beginners, you have to
>> have some programming knowledge to get started using their
>> tutorials...this is just my opinion.
>
> Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion..
>
> I program in multiple languages as do many people on this list.  And I
> for one have to say that it doesn't get any more simple than PHP and
> the ease of learning you get from it's excellent online manual.  No
> other programming manual even comes close.  You get well documented
> usage examples plus hundreds if not thousands of user comments that
> often contain even more coding examples.  Being able to teach yourself
> kinda goes along with being a programmer.. and PHP.net totally
> accelerates that function.
>
> Go out and try to learn Perl, Python, Java, or C (with no prior
> programming knowledge) and get back to me.  It's certainly possible,
> but I wouldn't want to learn Perl again from scratch.
>

> --
> Greg Donald

Not to beat a dead horse, but...

I'll agree with Greg on this. I learned Perl from the books and examples
online. It was slow paced and took much trial and error. Python was even
harder as I wasn't proficient with Object-Oriented programming.

I taught myself PHP and MySQL together over Thanksgiving weekend 3 years
ago all from php.net (and a little help from mysql.com). While I wasn't as
fluent in the language as I am now, it was a starting point that got me
where I am today with PHP. I couldn't believe how easy it was.

And unlike my learnings from previous languages, PHP taught my the
importance of writing security in my scripts...something I never thought
to brainstorm first.

If you're looking specifically for PHP5 object-oriented programming,
that's something that needs to be learned outside of any progrmaming
language. It's what I'm going through now but PHP is my crutch to learn
from since I'm already comfortable with the language.

It's just a start...
http://www.php.net/manual/en/tutorial.php

--
--Matthew Sims