You might be interested into the PHP White Paper that PHP Quebec has made.

It has example of canadian companies that are using PHP with sucess for
mission critical projects.

In these compagnies you will find Air Canada, The Canadian Spacial Agency,
Labat, Molson ...

Your boss will also be able to understand better what PHP is with some example
of what it can do. It also has charts and stats :)

http://www.phpquebec.com/documents/phpquebec/PHPQuébec-livreblanc.en.0.5.1.pdf

Please let me know what you think.

Yann