[snip]
I have a need for a PHP application to read/write Linux system files
that
have root.root ownership. At present reading not a problem but writing
obviously is denied. I know there are probably some serious security
issues
here, but what should I be doing to allow this behaviour. I am running
PHP
4.3.8 on Linux Redhat Fedora 1 installed as an Apache module.
[/snip]

either change the file permissions, making it something other than root
or chmod the file 766 so that all have read and write access to it. PHP
is running under whatever persmissions Apache is running (if that is how
you have it installed).