Mulley, Nikhil wrote:

Hi All,

I have a password file , which has all the passwords words encrypted with the
Crypt Function

I know that Crypt uses one-way algorithm to generate the encryptions and PHP
has no Decrypt function , ( but can it be developed to have one ?)

But I am eager to know whether it is really impossible to decrypt the passwords
, if possible , how it caqn be done. like salts and all

Can somebody *please* throw more light on Crypt() and Encryption and Decryption
in this thread.

Thanks,

Nikhil

As far as I know the standard crypto-methots used in
crypt() is one-way-hashing. The data used when encrypting
is lost, the encrypted data is generated using this data. There
is no other methods to get these data back other than
brute-forcing (guess, encrypt with the same algorithm and compare)
but it may take months/years depending on the size of the orginal
data.