Marek Kilimajer wrote:

> This would be for unsigned integers. PHP knows only signed integers,
> however. So the limit is 2147483648

Good point :)

When you're outputting it, PHP will convert it back to a string, using the normal integer representation (which is stored aswell). So that should be fine ;)

- Tul

Octavian Rasnita wrote:

Ok, I understand. But what can I do if I want to print big numbers like 123
billion? (but real numbers, not those written with the "E" letter in them?

Is this possible with PHP or I need to do it with another language?

Thank you.

Teddy

From: "M. Sokolewicz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Octavian Rasnita wrote:

Hi all,

I have tried the following script:

$val = 10000000000;
if (is_int($val)) {
echo $val;
}
else {
echo "$val is not an integer\n";
}

The answer is:

10000000000 is not an integer.

Why does this happen? I use PHP 5.

Isn't PHP able to work with values like 10 billion?

Do I need to use a certain special class for dealing with big numbers? How
can I use that class?

Thank you.

Teddy

reply it's treated as a double since integers have a max value of (-2e32 +1 up to) 2e32-1, which is 4,294,967,296 (4 billion and some). However, you shouldn't really see any difference in working, it's just treated as a double inside (a double float, that is). Which means it'll be written like 1.0e10 internally