Travis Conway wrote:
I do not know much about the history of php and do not know why there is active development on both the 4 and 5 major versions, but is there a definite reason for me to migrate from 4 to 5 on my servers?

Depends on what you wish to do with php.

PHP 5 has far better support for xml and soap than php 4. It has a stricter object model and supports native exceptions for error handling. Iterators, reflection, and __call()/__get()/__set() provide incredibly flexibility. It is new, and so not nearly as stable as PHP 4. Any solutions would need to be custom-written for PHP 5 at this point, although options are beginning to appear.

PHP 4 has a big history and is very stable. There are shortcomings that are addressed in PHP 5, but there is a huge codebase.

So, the question is, do you rely on other people's code, or your own? If you rely on other people's code, I would wait a year or two to upgrade. Otherwise, what are you waiting for?

:)
Greg