To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to
http://disclaimer.leedsmet.ac.uk/email.htm

On 01 December 2004 17:31, Robinson, Matthew wrote:

> I have a search function:
>
> $search_result = multi_array_search($net_array,"needle");
>
> now search_result equals an array of keys to locate the
> needle, this is
> variable in count.
>
> Sometimes the array of keys is 3 entries other times 5, I
> want a way of
> taking those entries and being able to do something like:
>
> $net_array[multi-dimensional-key] = value;
>
> where sometimes it might be in longhand:
>
> $net_array["net1"]["net2"]["address1"]
>
> or other times:
>
> $net_array["net1"]["address1"]
>
> but you don't know how deep you're going until the search returns you
> the keys.

Coming to this a bit late, but one possibility might be:

   $result = &$net_array;
   foreach ($search_result as $index):
      $result = &$result[$index];
   endforeach;
   // $result is now a reference to the array element.

Alternatively, wouldn't it be possible for the search function to return
that reference itself?  Or do you particularly want to know what the
sequence of accessor keys is?

Usual caveats apply: this is all off the top of my head, and completely
untested!

Cheers!

Mike

Headingley Campus, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]