Nick Peters wrote:

M. Sokolewicz wrote:

Nick Peters wrote:

Richard Lynch wrote:

Nick Peters wrote:

i currently have a apache and php installed perfectly on my box
(slackware 10). However, i have the need to use mcrypt. I have mcrypt
all compiled and
installed, but how do i add the module to my php install? I have
searched a
few places on the net and i can't figure it out. Thanks in advance.

If you compiled from source, go back to your PHP source directory, and do:

./config.nice --with-mcrypt

This should copy all your old settings, which were stored in
'config.nice' from the last time, but tack on --with-mcrypt for you this
time.

If you installed from an RPM or whatever Slackware uses for package
management, then you have just stumbled across the main downfall of
packages:  Whomever makes the Slackware PHP package thinks you don't need
mcrypt and you are stuck with starting over compiling PHP from source to
get what you want.  Sorry.

PS While you are at it, you may want to breeze through the manual and see
if there's anything else you for sure want to play with in the next few
weeks, and install that too.

Buuuuuut, don't go hog-wild trying to add in a bunch of stuff you might
want "some day"  --  You'll drive yourself crazy trying to get it all
installed, and never get to it until you need to upgrade PHP anyway.  "I
been down that road before"

I install from source, so that's good. after i run ./config.nice
--width-mcrypt, do i have to copy any file to my php dir? Thanks in
advance.

not '--width-mcrypt', just '--with-mcrypt' ;)

Sorry, i must learn to think before i type ;-)

but i am still left wondering if i have to copy anythign to my php dir after
running said command.

it's ok, it's just that I have met a couple of people who came back with "it didn't work" and in the end I found out they misspelled it by accident. Just wanted to make sure :)