To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to
http://disclaimer.leedsmet.ac.uk/email.htm

On 10 December 2004 00:06, Malcolm Mill wrote:

> Hi,
> I just came across a sniplet of code in a book I'm reading and I'm not
> sure what point the author is trying to make.
>
> The code is:
>
> function my_function ( )
> {
>       echo 'My function was called';
> }
>

> <?php
>         function my_function ( )
>         {
> ?>
> My function was called
> <?php
>         }
> ?>
>
> What are those single opening and closing curly braces doing in
> separate <?php ?> tag blocks? What's the point?

The point is you can put raw HTML (or anything else!) in there which can be
extremely useful for very long chunks, or blocks containing lots of quotes.
I think that example could have been better constructed to illustrate this
point; something like:

function my_function ( )
 {
       echo "<p class=\"interesting\">\n"
        echo "  My <a href=\"function_source.php\">function</a> was
called\n"
       echo "</p>\n";
 }

 <?php
         function my_function ( )
         {
 ?>
   My <a href="function_source.php">function</a> was called
 <?php
         }
 ?>

> The author says "Withing a function, curly braces enclose the code
> that performs the task you require. Between these braces, you can have
> anything that is legal elsewheere in a PHP script" - PHP and MySQL Web
> Development, 3rd Edition: Welling & Thomson.
>
> If the point is to illustrate what this quote says, does that mean...
>
> {
> ?>
> My function was called
> <?php
> }
>
> ...is a syntactically correct code block for my_function?

Yes.

Cheers!

Mike

Headingley Campus, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]