On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:27:12 -0600, Ryan King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yeah, but in the case of the Linux kernel there's no programming
> language that is both OO and close enough to the metal to program a
> kernel (other than maybe Forth??).

C++, being a superset of C, would certainly be 'close enough to the
metal' and is indeed OO, yet the Linux kernel developers have chosen
not to use it.

> That means that we can't make a judgment as to the
> relative merits of procedural and object-based programming in kernel
> development.

Sure we can, but we don't have to since they already made it.  No OO
in the kernel was the verdict many times over:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel

--
Greg Donald
Zend Certified Engineer