Paul Reinheimer wrote:
> My understanding (or assumption) of how the MTA operates is that it
> would not accept a message it did not know how to deliver, ie one with
> an invalid destination address.

There ain't no way the MTA can reliably predict an invalid address for
other hosts/domains/machines. That's not how email works. :-)

It's *possible* that a well-constructed MTA could maybe be configured to
"know" that 'dude' is not a local user, alias, nor otherwise valid
recipient, and that MTA could perhaps be configured to return an error in
that case.

But there isn't a whole lot PHP can "do" about this either way -- If your
MTA isn't doing what you want it to do (return error for 'dude') then
you'll need to focus your efforts on the MTA, completely independent of
PHP.

If you can get the MTA to complain right away on the command line that
'dude' is an invalid recipient, fire up PHP and test again.  If all you
get is a bounced email, then PHP ain't gonna magically do any better than
that.

To put it another way:
PHP just spits out the answer the MTA gave it.
If you don't like the answer, change the MTA.
:-)

You now have the joy of diving into sendmail documentation.  Have fun. :-^

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm