Thanks for the answer !

The URL of the file is http://www.formatemp.com/catalog/paynova-reply.php
and the file is definitely empty.
It was created by the touch(UNIX command):
-rw-r--r--   42 foo   foo          0 Dec 10 18:49 paynova-reply.php

The server is configured as follows:
Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_perl/1.29 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8
mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.9 mod_ssl/2.8.21 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
It is a server configured by my ISP, eXaion.com.

If I save the response of this command with lynx (lynx -dump
"http://www.formatemp.com/catalog/paynova-reply.php"; > somefile),
I will get three newlines.

If I request this file in a browser and scrutinize the response packet in a
packet analyser, I see something fishy.

After the usual header fields part are closed with the usual double "\r\n"
sequence, a "new" header is added, consisting of the character "0".
This is the then closed with the double "\r\n" sequence.
In other words, the extra hex characters 30, 0D, 0A, 0D, 0A are included in
the data part of the package.

Obviously, this is part of the data part of the package, and possibly
becomes the three newlines I am observing.

What does this "extra" header value come from ?

Regards,
Carl Michael Skog