Chadwin Tom wrote:
> If this is an inappropriate place to seek help, many apologies, and where
> might I try?
>
> I have a PHP 4.1.2 script on Red Hat (Apache 1.3.27) which calls an
> external script (Tidy, from tidy.sourceforge.net). It is called via
> popen() so that I can pipe through some arguments and receive the output.
> This worked fine until my ISP turned on safe mode. Now, although the UID
> of both the calling PHP script and of Tidy are the same, and though Tidy
> is sitting in a directory specified in safe_mode_exec_dir, the script
> fails.
>
> Is there anything else I should be checking?

Sometimes, a host re-compiles PHP, and turns on "safe mode" inadvertantly.

It should be noted that "safe mode" was designed to stop problems in PHP
CGI (not Module).  If they've turned it on for PHP as Module, they pretty
much are just causing users problems, and not gaining anything much in the
way of Security, as I understand it.  So maybe they can just re-compile
with Safe Mode OFF after confirming that it doesn't do squat in PHP as
Module -- Apache is already running as the under-powered user that Safe
Mode (sort of) emulates (in theory).

You know there is a Tidy PHP Module, right?  Maybe you could get your host
to install that, so you don't need popen and all that to run Tidy from the
shell.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm