And the good Lord saw that clear was bad and gave us ssh...

If you care that much build an ssh tunnel to the db server and talk over
that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Wong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 20 December 2004 17:29
To: php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: Re: [PHP] Using encrypted passwords

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 00:03, symbulos partners wrote:
> is it possible to use encrypted passwords in php files, for connecting

> to a database?
>
> We do not like too much the idea of the password being in clear text.
>
> Example
> $link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'mysql_user', 'mysql_password');
>
> 'mysql_password' should be encrypted

Why? It's not going to offer any protection. If I know your encrypted
password and am able to access your database using it there is no reason
for me to know what your cleartext password is. In other words if I am
able to read the file containing your password (whether encrypted or
cleartext) then I can access your database.