From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Hi all
>
> I am making a gallery for my Homepage. Now, I want to make
> little tumbnails of my work and make a table out of them.
> So, to not put them all in a row, what whould make the site
> unreadable, i have to put them in a little table, an i think
> 4 in each row would be ok.
>
> I like to read out the pic's name etc. out of a mysql table.
> But how do make the script to write a </tr> after it read
> out 4 entries of a mysql table?
>
> Thanks in advance :)

What I generally do is use the mod (%) operator to keep track of where
it is. It returns the remainder of the divisional operator, as such:

0 % 4 == 0
1 % 4 == 1
2 % 4 == 2
3 % 4 == 3
4 % 4 == 0
5 % 4 == 1
6 % 4 == 2
etc...

That way, you have a guaranteed 4-member looping variable.

Try something like this:

<?

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM foo ORDER BY bar");

$count = 0;

while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {

        $loopcount = $count % 4;

        if ($loopcount == 0) {
                echo "<tr>\n";
        }

        echo "<td>{$row['baz']}</td>\n";

        if ($loopcount == 3) {
                echo "</tr>\n";

?>

The only problem is that at the end of the while() loop, if you want to
have perfectly-formatted HTML, you need to figure out if it left off in
the middle of a row and fill with N empty <td></td> tags.

Also, if there's a better way to do this, I'm all ears. This is the way
I've done it for years, but it /is/ a pain to do.

Anyway, HTH!

--
Mike Johnson             Smarter Living, Inc.
Web Developer            www.smarterliving.com