[snip]
I'm a passionate freak of PHP from the past 4 years (that i can
remember).
And i love everything that php can do. But just 2 days ago i came along
situation where i have to write a hit counter for my website without
using
a database or a text file. Just using a global variable i wanted to do
this.

I dont know whether php can do this...(or may b i missed it out)...but i
couldnt
get any equivalent thing in php like we have GLOBAL.ASA in ASP.
[/snip]

What do you think GLOBAL.ASA is? From M$, - "A file that stores
information about an Internet Information Services (IIS) application,
such as initialization in structures, and objects that have been given
application scope."

So, you still have to use a text file.

Next!