symbulos partners wrote:
> Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>> I thought I just explained that.  The problem is that the dozens of
>> libraries you are likely to link into you Apache+PHP system may or may
>> not be threadsafe.
>
> We are only thinking of using standard libraries,that is the libraries
> which
> allow us to access the functions listed in chapter VI. Function Reference
> of official PHP Manual version 03-01-2005.
>
> Are these libraries all thread safe?

No.

> If not, is there a list explaining
> which libraries are thread safe (not thread safe)?

No.

If you re-read the previous emails from Rasmus, you will find that these
questions are already answered within them.

So I'm going to go on at length here telling you (again) what you don't
want to hear.

If you can narrow your focus down a bit from *ALL* of Section VI to *just*
the libraries you *really* need, you might get the answer you want to
hear: "Oh, those are all thread-safe."

But there is NO WAY you'll hear that any time soon for *ALL* of Section VI.

There is no list of which ones are thread-safe -- Actually, it would be
virtually impossible to compile such a list.

It's more like a probability game.

We're pretty sure PHP and MySQL are thread-safe, because they are used so
extensively on so many high-volume sites that they'd have blown up already
if they were not thread-safe.

If you *HAD* to make a list, you'd be best started by listing the most
popular Modules, and assuming that the ones near the very top of the list
were probably thread-safe, and the ones near the bottom were most likely
not thread-safe (or, at least, completely untested for all practical
purposes)

But you're not going to find anybody willing to stake their reputation on
a list of what is or isn't thread-safe because there's NO WAY [*] to prove
it.

* Some computer scientist mathematician may have some algorithm to prove a
process thread-safe, but not in any practical sense that can be applied to
the real-life code that encompasses PHP.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm