On 05/01/2005, at 2:39 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

You are correct, serialization tends to be the bottleneck when it comes to restoring large data structs. So you either avoid recreating the data structure and just use the data directly, or use an in-process mechanism like apc_store/apc_fetch which does a straight memcpy and doesn't need top serialize. Of course, this still doesn't match writing your own extension to manage your persistent data directly without needing to shuffle it around back and forth between process and shared memory.

Extensions to me are a black art, I am looking into this realm for a nice way of storing persistant objects in memory. Currently I have a method that includes the class file, serialize the class object into a session, unserialize when needed. I can also add dynamic arguments to it. Of course this is not useful for db objects.