> Anything you do in the MINIT hook is basically free, so it would be
> trivial to load the data for the array from somewhere.  Like a database,
> an xml file, etc.  So you wouldn't need to hardcode a complex array
> structure in your MINIT hook, just have this generic little extension
> that creates an array (or object) from some external source.  To change
> the data you would change that external source and restart your server,
> or you could write a PHP function in your extension that forced a reload
> with the caveat that each running httpd process would need to have that
> function be called since your array/object lives in each process separately.
>
> If you ask really nicely one of the folks on the pecl-dev list might
> just write this thing for you.  Especially if you spec it out nicely and
> think through how it should work.
>
> -Rasmus

Call me crazy or ignorant, i'm both, but would it be possible to build
an extension that, in its MINIT hook as you suggest, actually runs a
separate PHP script that contains global definitions, then makes those
definitions available to later scripts?  this is basically my original
desire of having a one-time, persistent global include for each apache
process.  i realize you suggest pulling array data from a source like a
DB or XML file, which would be a 90% solution for me, but the next step
(a PHP script) just seemed logical/exciting...

i realize i'm reaching with this, and it implies a conundrum (how does
an extension run a PHP script if PHP hasn't fully started yet) but this
kind of thing is just what makes me go and learn new things (C, php/zend
internals) and I just might try to do it if it was feasible, for the fun
of it, because it could be useful to lots of people, even if it took me
a year or two to pull off.

alas, this is a question for the pecl-dev list.

(the mental gears are churning...)

/jw